Macton has built over 100 revolving restaurant platforms, which are installed around the world. Hotel chains report that revolving restaurants increase business 50% over comparable stationary restaurants. Major hotel chains such as Marriott, Hyatt, and Hilton, as well as many independent five star hotels and tower attractions have installed Macton-built revolving restaurants – see the table below for a partial list of some of the venues that have chosen to go with Macton’s revolving restaurants.
Become a Landmark – A Macton revolving restaurant crowns many of the most recognizable towers and hotels and often makes that facility a “must-see” destination in the city in which it is located.
Attract More Business to Your Facility – Many large hotel chains have found that Macton revolving restaurants have increased their volume of business by more than 50% as compared to stationary facilities of the same size.
Smooth & Quiet Operation Enhances Customer Experience – Macton revolving restaurants move smoothly and free of any perceptible accelerations or sounds to patrons at these restaurants – this is achieved by including two or more synchronized, self-compensating, vibration-dampening, variable-speed traction drive systems (as further discussed below under the product features and specifications section). This smooth and quiet operation results in a much more positive experience for restaurant patrons.
Macton Expertise – In addition to having installed over 100 revolving restaurants around the world, Macton has developed a vast expertise in designing and building rotating structures and their related drive systems for other applications, which have been proven in more than 2,000 locations around the world – this lets you take comfort in knowing that you are purchasing from the company with the highest level of expertise in the turntable industry.
Full Support of Architect Throughout Project – Macton provides full support throughout the entire project, beginning with the initial design of the system to be built, during which time Macton’s engineering staff interfaces with the project’s architects to provide the practical assistance and the technical information needed to integrate the turntable system into the overall facility building plans. This support includes providing system dimensions and foundational requirements for the structural design of the supporting deck, as well as trim details, electrical requirements and any other assistance the project requires.
Ease of Equipment Installation – To assure a successful installation, Macton turntables are assembled, powered-up and tested at our factory prior to shipment. All components are then match-marked, bundled and shipped to your construction site. In addition, we provide a specially-trained field engineer or technician to work with local contractors and to supervise the installation of this system. This combination of pre-testing each system and providing on-site technical supervision is your best assurance the installation will be completed on time and within budget and that the system will deliver the expected performance.
Long-Term Reliability – The durability of these systems has been demonstrated by many of our revolving restaurants that have been in trouble-free service for over 30 years. Macton revolving restaurants have also been installed and successfully performed at locations prone to earthquakes. For instance, a Macton revolving restaurant installed at the Hyatt hotel in San Francisco survived the major 1987 earthquake without damage and continues to perform flawlessly.
Minimal Maintenance Required – The drives on these systems are designed to be self-compensating and there are no external gears to wear out or that might require periodic realignment. As a result, these systems require only a minimal amount of routine maintenance each year, which can be scheduled for times when the restaurant is not normally in operation – as a result, this minimal annual maintenance does not entail operational disruptions or expensive downtime for the servicing of this equipment.
Ongoing Post-Sale Support – Macton will continue to support you over the long term with spare parts and technical support services. Service contracts are available to provide periodic inspection and maintenance services, as well as training services, as needed. In addition, Macton provides customers with the ability to upgrade their control panels, drives and other systems to ensure they reflect the latest in technology.
Standard 5 Year Warranty – The equipment is warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship for a period of five (5) years from the date it’s shipped from Macton’s facility. Accordingly, during such 5-year period, Macton will repair or replace any such defective parts or equipment at Macton’s cost (including covering all shipping costs). If required to trouble-shoot such equipment, Macton will provide the services of an onsite field service engineer, and if any such defects are found to exist, Macton will pay the labor and travel costs of such field service engineer. This warranty is void if the equipment is installed without supervision by a Macton representative. This warranty does not cover: (i) water damage, or damage due to chemical corrosion or from dirt or debris on or around the equipment, (ii) any damage caused by improper use or accident, or from the failure to perform the recommended periodic maintenance on the equipment, (iii) normal wear and tear, (iv) portions of the equipment repaired or modified by others without Macton’s prior written approval, or (v) any additional onsite labor, tools or equipment required for the inspection, removal and reinstallation of any parts of the equipment.
FEATURES & SPECS
Size of Inside and Outside Diameters of Turntable Platform – As mentioned above, the outside diameter of the revolving restaurants we have built in the past have ranged between 26 and 140 feet.
- Size is Customizable to Meet Specific Needs of Restaurant Owners – Although the outside and inside diameters of revolving restaurants we have built have fallen within the size ranges listed above, the specific size of the revolving restaurant can be customized to meet the specific needs of each location.
Rotational Speed – Maximum rotational speed is not limited by the drive, but is selected for the comfort of the patrons. The drive and controller is also equipped with variable speed so operating speed can be further controlled for local preference - some restaurants prefer to change the speeds at different parts of the day to encourage turnover during peak meal hours, since faster rotation has been shown to shorten the stay of the typical restaurant patron.
Ability to Tier the Floor Decks – While it is possible for the floor deck of the revolving restaurant to be all on one level, the wider decks are typically tiered so that the inner portion is at a higher level (i.e., a higher tier), so that restaurant patrons sitting towards the inside of the restaurant can have the same good views as other restaurant patrons sitting closer to the windows.
Specific Features Enhancing Performance and Longevity of Structure – Each Macton revolving restaurant turntable is designed and built with the intention of lasting the life of the building (or structure) in which it is installed. To accomplish this, special attention is given to four major areas: the structural design, the support system, the centering system and the drive system:
- Structural Design – The turntable structure is designed to utilize a combination of radial and circumferential support members that have proven to work best in revolving applications. These structures are engineered to architectural design criteria that limit stresses and deflections to provide a structure that is rigid and secure. For maximum safety, all supporting structural members are steel and the deck is constructed of fire-retardant plywood (not oriented strand fiberboard).
- Support System – The support system incorporates a specially-engineered caster system that reduces friction by rolling with the curvature of the track. Reducing friction contributes to low wear, and quiet, vibration-free operation that is crucial to a fine dining experience.
- Centering System – The centering system is located at the outer periphery of the turntable, allowing more centering wheels and maximizing centering control of the structure while limiting stress. The result is the ability to control the gap between the turntable and the surrounding floor to 3/8” (±1/8”) (which is equivalent to 10mm, ±3mm). The combination of Macton’s specially-engineered supporting caster system and centering system assures accurate centering regardless of the distribution of loads on the structure.
- Drive System – The drive system consists of a drive ring and two or more Macton traction drives which are specifically designed for this application. Each drive pinches a drive ring between two traction wheels. Pinching the drive ring between two wheels allows proper loading of the traction wheels without loading the centering system. The traction wheel assembly is then free to float with any eccentricity in the drive ring. Two or more of these drives are installed in opposing sectors of the turntable to rotate the structure while canceling undesirable loads on the centering system. This unique drive design assures smooth, vibration-free rotation while accommodating inevitable movement in the structure. There are no external gears or pins that require critical clearance or which might wear out or require periodic realignment.
Control Panel – A simple control panel is provided that allows the operator to control both turntable speed and direction (clockwise vs. counter-clockwise movement). The control panel can be located at the hostess station or some other convenient location.